The next Fungal Pigments Workshop will be on May 7th, 2017. Please e-mail to register.
Hey, we are finally ready to go public with our fungal pigments! No more fussing with live cultures, sterility, or uncertainty. This workshop will cover the fundamentals of making the pigments, some basic chemistry on their structure (at a level everyone can understand, I promise), and how to use them on spalted and unspalted wood. This workshop is a great way to get an introduction to the newest aspect of spalting research without the trial and error of buying the pigments yourself.
Schedule for the day
- 9:00 am: coffee, meet and greet, safety protocol overview
- 9:30 am – 10:30 am: presentation on the history of fungal pigments in art and science
- 10:30 am – noon: activity 1, growth, extraction, and storage of fungal pigments
- noon – 1:00 pm: lunch (provided)
- 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm: demo, applying fungal pigments on various wood and non-wood substrates
- 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm: activity 2, practice with applying fungal pigments in various solvents
- 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm: Q&A, overflow time for projects
What you should bring: any material (non-plastic) that you would like to experiment with for dyeing, including wood (spalted and not)
What we provide: all safety gear, including gloves, goggles, fume hoods, pipets, brushes, paper towels, etc. And fungal pigments, obviously. Wood veneer of various species will also be available for dyeing practice if you don’t have anything of your own you want to bring.
What you take home: anything you dye is yours to take home (you have a lot of time to practice, too, so you could walk out with a huge amount of work if you use your time right). You also get two vials of craft grade dye to take home as well, either in solution or dry.
Cost: $300 for the day. This workshop is more expensive than the DIY workshop due to the increased cost of the materials. The various solvents and disposables (like brushes, pipettes, gloves, and the pigment production itself) is vastly more time and resource consuming. Those who participated in our pigment crowd funding may register for this workshop for $250.
How to register: Just send an e-mail to here.