Turning and Finishing Burls & Curls, a weekend workshop at Marc Adams School of Woodworking
July 13 - July 14
Note: this workshop is held at Marc Adams School of Woodworking in Indiana. Registration links will be provided when available.
Turning and Finishing Burls & Curls
Turning figured wood comes with a host of challenges. This class will focus entirely on ‘abnormal’ wood and how those changes in the grain affect woodturning. Students will have access to a wide range of figured woods and will explore tool technique, grain orientation, sanding, and final finishing. Special attention will be paid to grain tear out, wood strength, and pairing the best finish to get the figure to ‘pop.’ This class is appropriate for all turning levels.
Students will learn:
- what causes figure in trees
- how figure affects the anatomy of the wood
- how figure affects the strength of the wood
- what turning tools work best with figured woods
- how to sand figured woods
- what finishes work best with figured woods
- to avoid tearout
- how to turn figured wood safely