- This event has passed.
DIY Spalting: From Discussion to Discovery of the Fungus Amongst Seri’s Research, week long workshop at Marc Adams School of Woodworking
June 10, 2019 - June 14, 2019
Note: this class is held at Marc Adams School of Woodworking. Registration links will be posted to this site once they become available.
DIY Spalting: From Discussion to Discovery of the Fungus Amongst Seri’s Research
This class will cover all fundamental aspects of spalting, from fungal growth and culture transfer, to how fungi affect wood, to the modern science of fungal pigments and their uses. Students will learn how to pair the right fungi with the right wood to get the best results and minimize rot, and how to skip the inoculation steps altogether if desired. Anyone interested in the science and art history behind spalted wood, whether as classic woodwork or modern woodturning, will be well suited for the course.
Students will learn:
- fundamentals of wood anatomy
- how fungi grow and affect wood
- fundamentals of fungal anatomy
- how to pair fungi appropriately for spalting
- conditions for spalting
- the history of spalted wood
- the chemistry of modern spalting
- how to use extracted fungal pigments
- how spalting fungi have changed modern science