Non-toxic, pure-culture fungi are available to purchase through Oregon State University, via this website. The fungi are kept active in the lab and arrive to you in an aggressive, pigmenting state. We carry all the strains see on the wood species examples – comparative spalting page.
- Trametes versicolor: $25 for the first plate, $20 each replicate plate
- All other white rotting fungi: $100 for the first plate, $20 each replicate plate
- Chlorociboria aeruginascens / Chlorociboria aeruginosa: $150 for the first plate, $50 each replicate (you may choose between malt agar media, or media amended with white rotted wood chips for better pigment generation)
- All other pigmenting fungi: $100 for the first plate, $20 each replicate plate
- Pack of ten sterile malt agar plates: $25
- Pack of ten amended malt agar plates with white rotted wood chips (for generating pigment and growing Chlorociboria species): $45
Usually we just do a blanket $10 shipping for within the USA for a few culture plates. If you get the malt agar packs, shipping will be $20. International shipping requires a quote, please e-mail and ask for one.
Important updates! I am working currently with APHIS to get a blanket shipping permit on MY end, so that you, the woodworker, does not have to get one! Below are the states we can currently ship to without a permit. This list will grow over the next several months, so keep an eye out!
Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin,
Ordering – current procedure
Those purchasing fungi that live in the aforementioned states or live outside the United States may order directly through our order form. Those who live in the USA but outside the states listed above will need to first apply for a permit to transport plant pathogens via APHIS (form PPQ 526). Once you have the permit you can purchase the fungi available from Oregon State University and we will ship them to the address listed on your permit.
You must follow all handling and disposal protocols listed on your permit. These protocols may vary by state so please read the enclosed permit carefully!