Non-toxic, pure-culture fungi are available to purchase through Oregon State University, via cooperative membership only. The fungi are kept active in the lab and arrive to you in an aggressive, pigmenting state. We carry all the strains see on the wood species examples – comparative spalting page.
The costs below are for the basic cooperative membership members. Members in the full cooperative receive fungi and pigments free of charge each month. To check out the cooperative on Patreon, click here.
- Trametes versicolor: $25 for the first plate, $20 each replicate plate
- All other white rotting fungi: $100 for the first plate, $20 each replicate plate
- Chlorociboria aeruginascens / Chlorociboria aeruginosa: $150 for the first plate, $50 each replicate (you may choose between malt agar media, or media amended with white rotted wood chips for better pigment generation)
- All other pigmenting fungi: $100 for the first plate, $20 each replicate plate
- Pack of ten sterile malt agar plates: $25
- Pack of ten amended malt agar plates with white rotted wood chips (for generating pigment and growing Chlorociboria species): $45
Usually we just do a blanket $10 shipping for within the USA for a few culture plates. If you get the malt agar packs, shipping will be $20. International shipping requires a quote, please e-mail and ask for one. Cooperative members above the $5 level receive free shipping.
Ordering – current procedure
Those purchasing fungi that live in the aforementioned states or live outside the United States may order directly through our order form if they are cooperative members. Those who live in the USA but outside the states listed above will need to first apply for a permit to transport plant pathogens via APHIS (form PPQ 526). Once you have the permit you can purchase the fungi available from Oregon State University and we will ship them to the address listed on your permit.
You must follow all handling and disposal protocols listed on your permit. These protocols may vary by state so please read the enclosed permit carefully!